[opendtv] Re: News: The Album, a Commodity in Disfavor

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 12:19:43 -0400

At 10:29 AM -0400 3/26/07, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Is this déjà vu all over again? In the past, although I don't know the percentage of sales they represented, didn't people buy 45 RPM singles in large numbers? One might argue that the full size CD eliminated the singles category, and that online sales filled that need.

It may be cyclical. As the article mentioned, the shift to album sales came about in the '60s with vinyl, as artists started putting together albums that had overall themes. The article mentioned the Beatles and Beach Boys, but the hard rock revolution of the late '60s and early '70s was filled with classics like the Moody Blues Days of Future Passed, and Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall. In recent years, the music industry propped up their business with anthology albums, exploiting their archives rather than developing new acts.

But the ability to buy individual songs has been a huge incentive for many, including myself, as I can get high quality files of the classic hits I like rather than digitizing a scratchy piece of vinyl.