[opendtv] Re: News: The Album, a Commodity in Disfavor

  • From: "John Limpert" <john.a.limpert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 12:11:51 -0400

I remember LPs pushing 45 RPM singles to the margins, long before the
introduction of the CD, in the last half of the 1960s and early 1970s.
Singles were expensive on a cost-per-song basis when compared to the LP,
assuming the LP wasn't full of filler. 45 RPM singles were also a pain to
deal with on most turntables. They were pretty much tied to the current
Top-40/100 in the way they were sold in record stores, which made them a
transient item.

RCA was pushing the 45 RPM single and Columbia was pushing the LP. Singles
were great for juke boxes, radio stations and struggling artists. In later
years, with Disco and Hip-Hop, the single was reincarnated in the LP-sized
disc.

On 3/26/07, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is this déjà vu all over again? In the past, although I don't know the
percentage of sales they represented, didn't people buy 45 RPM singles in
large numbers? One might argue that the full size CD eliminated the singles
category, and that online sales filled that need.