[opendtv] Re: News: The Album, a Commodity in Disfavor

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 10:29:23 -0400

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/26/business/media/26music.html?th=&emc=th&pagewanted=all

> The Album, a Commodity in Disfavor
>
> By JEFF LEEDS
>
> Published: March 26, 2007

[ ... ]

> To the regret of music labels everywhere, she is right: fans are
> buying fewer and fewer full albums. In the shift from CDs to
> digital music, buyers can now pick the individual songs they like
> without having to pay upward of $10 for an album.

[ ... ]

Is this déjà vu all over again? In the past, although I don't know the
percentage of sales they represented, didn't people buy 45 RPM singles in large
numbers? One might argue that the full size CD eliminated the singles category,
and that online sales filled that need.