[opendtv] Re: News: Telecom Bill? Bet on It, Says Barton

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 10:01:20 -0400

At 5:34 PM -0500 4/1/06, Albert Manfredi wrote:
>The article is remarkably devoid of any useful information on the content of
>the bill, but it does make the statement quoted above. I would think that
>the major OTA broadcast networks, and the larger station groups, could now
>Surely, even with 100 percent national ownership, any OTA broadcasters has a
>lot more competition than just "a competitor who has penetrated 15 percent
>of the market."

Hi Bert!

I posted a story with more meat about the bill this morning.

You need to be careful about mixing Apples and Oranges. There is a
world of difference between the business of creating content and the
business of distributing it. The problem lies when an oligopoly has
its fingers in both pies, as is the case for the conglomerates that
own the broadcast networks.

Keep in mind that the broadcast networks are the ONLY distribution
channel that reaches 100% of the population - they reach all of the
OTA laggards, and have virtually 100% clearance through cable, DBS
and now the Telcos. The fact that they do not own all of the stations
that carry their content does not diminish their reach, only their
profits.

Maybe we should just let these conglomerates own everything. after
all, the notion of competition in the video business is just an
illusion...