[opendtv] Re: News: TV's Loneliest Night of the Week Is Startingto Look Very Familiar

  • From: Mike Enright <menright1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:26:14 -0700

The more they repeat shows, the fewer tuners I need in my PVR. There are
shows I only get because they run repeats outside prime time or on a
secondary outlet. Starting from 11 pm I record 2 hours of shows in the
"graveyard" time period every "weeknight" (Is 2AM Monday part of the
week or the weekend?)

Of course the more they repeat shows the more bland will be the shows
they show, but you can't have everything.

And another thing...

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>This repeats topic baffles me.
>

>>''CBS tried the original series strategy for five years,'' Mr. Zucker
>>said, ''Tell me, did it work?'' He predicted that by relying more on
>>repeats, CBS would turn a money-losing night into a money-maker.
>>

>Was that supposed to be a rhetorical question? It worked for me. I
>recorded those shows every Saturday night. Both were good shows. I
>guess the recorder gets a rest on Saturday nights now.
>

>>The only potential risk, several executives said, is overdoing it.
>>''You could eventually begin to dilute the original,'' Mr. Beckman
>>said. ''I think you saw some of that with 'Law and Order' this year.''
>>

>The *only* potential risk?? How about the risk that viewers go
>elsewhere rather than wasting time with stuff they've already just
>seen?
>

>>But the networks seem to be conceding they are mostly swinging and
>>missing anyway, so why not squeeze a few extra dollars out of the
>>programs people do want to watch?
>>

>Ah! Finally an honest comment instead of the bean counter's
>doubletalk.
>
>It seems painfully obvious to me that the only way a repeat of a
>recent show can attract viewers is if the orignal transmission was
>up against strong opposition. For instance, Star Trek vs West Wing.
>That sort of conflict. Especially in the past 20+ years that
>recording devices have existed.

Sounds good to me. I'm talking more about the overnight period than the
evenings where primetime is not so prime, but there's some interesting
things happening here. I guess infomercials were easy money for
broadcasters, but why not recorder fodder?
Remember that one of the benefits to informercials of the overnight
timeslots was that insomniacs watching TV at 2 AM are more persuadeable.
But if the show on at 2AM is actually watched at 6PM, then that part of
the equation gets zeroed out. Also if the show is effectively first-run
("It's new to you!" as NBC used to advertise for repeats) then it can
possibly attract the same kind of advertiser as a real prime time slot
can. If this came to pass, surely it would be helpful to broadcasters.

>Rather than repeats of recent shows, can't networks fill up time
>with repeats of old favorites or of old movies? The local Fox
>affiliate used to broadcast Perry Mason on Saturday night some time
>ago. That was actually enjoyable.

You mean advertise the Perry Mason DVD collection on Saturday night, right?

--
Mike Enright
mail: michaelt@xxxxxxxxxxxx AIM: enr Yahoo: michaeltenright