[opendtv] Re: News: TV Service Stalls for Verizon, but Increase in Wireless Customers Keeps Earnings Strong

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 19:39:14 -0400

As data goes I think it is substantially more bits for the buck. And some of that novelty that wore off was really a free TV giveaway.

But I expect FIOS to take pretty much as much market share as they want in areas where it is available. It just has better technology once they run fiber to everywhere.

I'll predict again that eventually we will have fiber to most everywhere that is then reachable by some form of broadband wifi for the last few feet.

We managed to wire the country for phones, water, power, and toilets. It just took awhile. Fiber is coming too.

Imagine always being within reach if a multi-Gbit lan, supporting IPV6 multi-casting. And then recalculate the economics of broadcast TV.

- Tom

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/29/business/29verizon.html?th&emc=th

TV Service Stalls for Verizon, but Increase in Wireless Customers Keeps
Earnings Strong
By LAURA M. HOLSON
Published: July 29, 2008

[ ... ]

"That FiOS is already seeing a sequential deceleration is a startling
development," a communications analyst at Sanford C. Bernstein &
Company, Craig Moffett, wrote in a research report.

[ ... ]

Once the novelty wears off, I'm not sure why this should be such a
surprise. The service is not much different, either in price or in what
it offers, from cable. And the market for MVPDs has been saturated
already for years.

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx