[opendtv] Re: News: TV Braces for the Apple Tablet

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 16:54:21 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> These were not my objectives. The objective was set by the
> broadcasters. SImply stated the objective was:
>
> TO PREVENT LAND MOBILE FROM TAKING SPECTRUM AWAY FROM
> BROADCASTERS.
>
> HDTV was a handy canard that the NAB latched onto in hopes that
> each broadcaster would be assigned a SECOND 6 MHz channel so
> that they could deliver an analog augmentation signal for HD.

It wasn't broadcasters who pushed for HDTV or for digital TV. It was academia
and the CE industry. I'm just glad that these other entities did, though, and
I'm equally glad that the FCC decided to force HDTV into the same spectrum as
NTSC. Whether or not the broadcasters had some ulterior agenda is almost
totally irrelevant. The simple fact is, all of the developed world went down
this same path, even though Europeans were squeamish for many years about HDTV.
Now they are catching up.

To me, HDTV was an imperative, from way back when. It's hard for me to even
believe that anyone would oppose it, either then or now.

>> The 30' antenna height is a global standard

> 1. This "global standard" was established when the original
> analog service was created - it is now, and at the time the
> broadcasters requested additional spectrum for HDTV, totally
> irrelevant to a modern digital television service.

Nonsense. It is totally relevant, as it is crucial in determining the
transmitter ERP required to achieve a given level of coverage.

> 2. The FCC was ill equipped to deal with the planning of a more
> appropriate digital television infrastructure. Big Sticks with 30'
> antennas is what they understood and could handle.

So, what is the excuse in the UK, France, Italy, and Germany, all of which have
used this same standard, all of which EXPECT people to have outdoor antennas if
they are at all distant from the transmitters? Do I need to dredge up the
antenna guidelines from the other countries, AGAIN?

> The case for 8-VSB was about Intellectual Propert rights

We all know this by now, Craig. All I'm saying is, the design tradeoffs used in
8-VSB were not very different from the final COFDM modes used in the countries
I mentioned. Although Jeroen tells me that in the Netherlands, they are using a
very conservative mode, with consequent lower spoectral efficiency. If they
deploy HDTV, I'm thinking they will want to go to DVB-T2 or to less robust
DVB-T modes. Yes, they can operate much of the country in a SFN. This still
doesn't mean they have room for HDTV, though.

> The truth is that broadcasters pushed people to multichannel
> services. They did this first by leveraging CATV systems to
> expand their markets, and later by using their political clout
> to gain retransmission consent, which they used first to take
> over the multichannel content market and now to gain an
> additional revenue stream.

I'll grant you this. But the climate is changing now, as the networks
themselves have given up most or all of their OTA assets. So that MIGHT change.
Seems to me that since OTA broadcasters do not create content, typically, they
should be worried that retrans consent will lose any relevance pretty soon?

>> Mobile TV has been an afterthought all over, and the
>> development of ATSC M/H or of DVB-H are equally
>> representative of this. The need to cram enough b/s over
>> the 6 MHz channel for HDTV goes counter to the design
>> decisions that would have had to be made for mobility.
>
> More rubbish. With DVB you got both, and we demonstrated
> this at NAB in 2000;

Oh really? You had TV to cell phones at NAB 2000? And the station broadcasting
this "mobile" content was also transmitting HDTV and a few SDTV channels?

How much use of HM do you see in the UK, France, Germany, and Italy, Craig? And
why exactly do you think that this is the case?

> There is NO COMPARISON in the spectral efficiency of DVB_T2
> and MHP.  NONE!

Yeah, right. Please lay out for us the modes of DVB-T2 that you're talking
about, give the b/s/Hz and the C/N margin requirement for the different modes,
and then compare these with both regular 8-VSB and with ATSC M/H.

BTW, I've done this for you already.