[opendtv] Re: News: TV Braces for the Apple Tablet

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 18:39:48 -0500

Cliff Benham wrote:

> I have had solid unbroken reception of the
> Philly and Baltimore stations including WBAL-DT,
> as well as WPVI-DT CH6 LoVHF all through the
> storm.

Wow. WBAL is VHF 11, and I lost it entirely after they dropped down to 5 KW
ERP. (Of course, my two antennas are essentially at ground level nowadays.)

> Yet, during clear night skys and sunny days CH6
> becomes unwatchable with huge losses of all
> signal "NO SIGNAL" for 30 seconds or more.
> Could the good reception during the storm be
> due to 'ducting' of their signal over the 39
> miles to my antenna?

Another possibility is that the other RF noise sources have gotten attenuated
more than the TV signal by all the moisture on the ground? I think RF noise is
one of the biggest issues in low VHF?