[opendtv] Re: News: TV Braces for the Apple Tablet

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 15:50:57 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> And you cannot grasp the fact that cellular can do this
> thanks to highly efficient spectral reuse.
>
> You also conveniently ignore the fact that there are options
> between 10 miles and 250.

What is done efficiently with spectrum reuse is the creation of the huge number
of two-way point-to-point mobile links to the wired infrastructure. Get it?
This is **NOT** needed for wide area TV broadcast!!

> I have frequently noted that most markets can be covered with
> 4-5 transmitters on existing buildings and towers. There is no
> need to use the density of cellular networks - hell, there are
> enough radio towers out there to get the job done.

You have frequently waved arms to this effect, yes, but never has the arm
waving gone into any of the necessary detail. Just saying something DOES NOT
make it reality, Craig. This is supposed to be science, not religion.

The very simple fact is, if you cover a standard US-size TV market with your
4-5 transmitters, this will happen:

1. You will NOT reduce the protection requirements for those frequencies iun
adjacent markets. Simple point. And

2. You will NOT achieve consistent coverage, avoiding interference zones,
unless:

   a. The towers are each quite tall and close together, each one being a big
stick by any definition (e.g. Rome, Berlin), or

   b. One big stick, and the rest much smaller sticks to fill in dead zones
(e.g. Paris, Sydney).

And in fact, Berlin and Rome also have one tower that is higher than the others
and does most of the heavy lifting. But the Paris and Sydney examples are more
radical.