[opendtv] Re: News: Streamlined Cable TV in a Card

  • From: "Tom McMahon" <TLM@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 07:47:26 -0800

John - I have some questions for you.

1) Comcast offers me PPV and VOD.  Would your Toshiba/TV-Guide solution be able
to access those cable products?

2) Do *all* new cable-ready TV sets offer simple PVR upgrades or just some?  Do
you think the general consumer will know how to hunt
this down and configure it if they're looking to do without their STB?  What
about customer satisfaction when they get their new
diskless set home and then the cable company mails them a flyer a week later
about the new cable box with lots of cool PVR (or
other) features for an extra $5/month?

3) Ditto to the TV Guide SW - do all new cable-ready sets have this or just
some?  Are consumers generally knowledgeable enough to
make these distinctions and find out what they don't know?

4) Do you think there is going to be a wave of aftermarket products for
cable-ready sets that provide substitutes for what the cable
company offers?  Will these be standardized and uniform in features and
functionality or will it be a free-for-all?

5) What about the new interactive platforms like MHP, GEM, etc. - will the
cable-ready sets also support those in order to support
the new cable company services that are yet to ship?

Don't get me wrong, I am not supporting the cable companies, I just see a big
system design problem with new bugs in the
architecture that weren't anticipated in the original engineering requirements.