[opendtv] Re: News: Sky takes on Freeview

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 17:40:53 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> We have known that this was coming for some time.
> But the offer is better than expected. This is
> the kind of power that cable and/or DBS can exert
> if they are seriously challenged...

A bit like SUV manufacturers offering to pay for
a year's worth of gasoline, just so the abysmal
fuel economy doesn't dissuade new buyers.

Interesting offer, though. As long as DTT survives,
or until BSkyB gets back the market share they want,
that offer might continue. Their goal is obviously
to generate more subscriptions, not to provide a
public service. If ad revenue wasn't enough to cover
expenses before, I'm not sure how that equation
would have changed.