[opendtv] Re: News: Sirius Founder Says Company Won't Be Able To Compete

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 20:17:28 -0400

Streaming media becomes complicated when the bandwidth comes anywhere
close to the total average bandwidth you have available.  Then you have
considerations of constant and max bit rates plus a significant time to
accumulate any sort of a safety buffer.

This used to be true for quality real time audio but these days an audio
stream takes only a small percentage of a broadband connection and
people can afford to be a bit sloppy, which simplifies things.

Likewise, streaming HD video still takes some cleverness on broadband
and is mostly not available yet for wireless mobile.  But there is some
sort of Moore's law equivalent for wired and wireless broadband and it
should do for video the same as for audio.  This should mostly reduce
the issue to a fight between rights holders and distributors.

Local TV broadcasters seriously need to start looking into streaming.

- Tom