[opendtv] Re: News: Sinclair Could Pull 30 Stations Off Comcas

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 10:20:06 -0800

"But in an interesting twist, many of its stations can't go black then due
to a federal law that says no in-market station can be pulled from cable
during a sweeps period."

Isn't it the other way around?  That a cable system can't pull a signal
during a ratings sweep period?  (Cue: Time Warner)

And, unless I missed this in the Communications Act the last time I went
through, it's not a federal law, but an FCC regulation.

Last time I checked, there was no language limiting when a broadcaster can
remove access to a signal.  Heck, the rule is in the cable rules (Section
76) which don't directly apply to broadcasters.