[opendtv] Re: News: See the Big Picture? Don't Forget to Examine the Fine Print

  • From: "John Willkie" <jmwillkie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 15:34:31 -0700

really?  You mean that SAR in the legend for the table you quoted means
something other than "screen aspect ratio" and DAR in the same legend means
something other than "display aspect ratio?"  I use the definitions there.
Which you already alluded to.

You quoted the text.  Didn't you peruse it?  Did you fail to understand it?

Samples can be square: in this context (I learn from my mistakes) that means
that the "aspect ratio" of the sample matches the display aspect ratio.
Anything else is a "non-square" picture element.

And, to nip your tailtext in the end:  I am not talking about private data
elements.  I am speaking of mandatory PUBLIC data; MPEG-2 metadata, which
comprises a good chunk of broadcast metadata, a field that I am somewhat
familiar with.

Happy to be of assistance.