[opendtv] Re: News: Scripps Finds Way Around Cablevision Blackout in N.Y.

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 08:17:32 -0500

It makes sense. The content owners SHOULD finally be smart enough to be able to bypass roadblocks in delivery of their content. The high penetration rate of MVPDs suggests either of two things, or some of both:

1. The MVPD prices are so low that the vast majority of households has no problem subscribing. So the MVPDs can go ahead and raise their rates to cover the increasing demands of content owners.

I doubt that many Americans think that the rates for any "utility" they use are low. Unfortunately, these things have become necessities of life and most people think they have no real alternatives.

The thing that makes the MVPD model work is that the increases have been incremental, and this will continue to happen. People tend not to rebel when the bill goes up a few bucks a month.

The other problem is that retrans consent has provided the MVPDs with a fabulous excuse for annual rate increases, and they have done a good job of growing their total number of channels, so that the average cost per channel has remained relatively constant over the past two decades. Yes you pay more, but they tell the politicians that you get more too.

The reality is that each time the rates are raised both the content owners and the MVPDs reach a little deeper into our pockets. The acrimony surrounding retrans consent negotiations and threats to withhold content during these negotiations provide great cover for the reality that both sides love the current situation.

2. Content owners have been very unflexible in how they deliver their content, and have allowed themselves to become overly dependent on third party umbillicals. That being the case, they are very vulnerable to the vagaries of negotiations with these umbillical local monopolies.

Vulnerable?

They are DEPENDENT on the new revenues they are generating via subscriber fees...

Soon they will be addicted, if they are not already.

I have yet to hear of a negotiation where subscriber fees were reduced.

As usual, it is up to consumers to take control back. It is only then that the brakes are applied to the desires of the supply side of the equation. Consumers have to stop playing the victim card all the time.

To some extent they are.

But it is important to be wary of getting the politicians involved. There were huge public outcries about rapidly rising cable rates in the late '80s into the early '90s. So the politicians intervened to protect us via the 1992 cable act. That's when the rates really started to go up, as the congloms used retrans consent to build new cable networks and take over most of the networks created by the cable industry.

As long as consumers remain addicted to their TV habit it will be possible to keep charging more. Only when people stop watching will the gluttony stop.

Thankfully this has already happened for the broadcast networks, which have lost more than half their audience to non broadcast networks. Unfortunately people have simply changed their drug of choice. The next stop on this train is when we learn that the total time spent watching TV is in decline. I believe it already is, however, if the mass media can help the politicians lie through their teeth, we might consider the possibility that they are lying about how much TV we watch too.