[opendtv] Re: News: SAG, WGA Lodge Complaints at FCC Hearing

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 12:43:30 -0400

I don't see how one can argue "oligopoly" when there are dozens of new direct-to-cable television productions created all the time. Also, more international productions are coming to the US shores (Battlestar comes to mind...this Friday!) which also adds to production diversity.

But more importantly, I would be willing to bet that these "near-stars" are earning just about the same "per viewer" as they used to, only now Broadacast's audience share is shrinking in a 200 channel plus internet world.

It was "The End of the World" being shouted by SAG in the 1970s when series television production moved to Vancouver.

Market forces are at work, just like every other sector of the economy.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Birkmaier" <craig@xxxxxxxxx>

Yes, and the desire to create monopolies and oligopolies has been going on at least as long.