[opendtv] Re: News: SAG, WGA Lodge Complaints at FCC Hearing

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 12:23:24 -0400

It's been going on since the Industrial Revolution, so it's not like we haven't heard the same complaints over and over again. Of course, when you're the one who has to figure out what "new sector" of the economy you need to create or participate in, it's hardly fun and games.

Yes, and the desire to create monopolies and oligopolies has been going on at least as long.

I'm not arguing in support of those poor actors, although the vast majority do not get the big bucks that the superstars can garner. But I am arguing against the tactics that the conglomerates are using to control every aspect of content creation and distribution, and the fact that the execs behind the scenes are not taking pay cuts.

Fortunately, when an ecosystem gets too far out of balance, nature has a way of leveling the playing field. Many in the public are growing tired of overpaid talent, be it in music, TV, movies sports or politics. One can only hope that the new sector of the economy will afford more power to the people actually doing the work, rather than those determining who gets to work, and how much they can make.