[opendtv] Re: News: SAG, WGA Lodge Complaints at FCC Hearing

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 11:34:53 -0400

Waaaaaa! Engineers are having a hard time getting their "going rate" these days, too.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Birkmaier" <craig@xxxxxxxxx>

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6377792.html?display=Breaking+News&referral=SUPP&nid=2228

SAG, WGA Lodge Complaints at FCC Hearing
By Jim Benson -- Broadcasting & Cable, 10/3/2006 9:39:00 PM

The Screen Actors Guild (SAG) complained to FCC commissioners attending media consolidation hearings in Los Angeles Tuesday that "salary compression" by the networks has harmed mid-level actors' abilities to make a living.

"We find the continued consolation of media companies has drastically limited our ability to individually bargain our personal services agreements," said Anne-Marie Johnson, first national VP of SAG. "Every working actor has a quote, the amount of money you get for a guest staring role. It's each actor's market value. There is no such thing as getting your quote anymore. Like the oligarchy that they are, the networks decide what the top-of-show rates are, in a parallel practice. Some networks will even tell you they only pay 50% of the going rate. Take it or leave it."