[opendtv] Re: News: Rush on DTV-Converter-Box Coupons

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 19:22:30 -0500

Barry Brown wrote:

> Agree! But, being a ATSC viewer for over a year, there has been
> a definite improvement in reception due to work of Dish (my OTA
> ATSC tuner provider) and the local broadcasters to provide mostly
> trouble free reception with a quality far surpassing what we were
> watching in the 50s.

Indeed. I just noticed last night, for example, that the PBS station
WHUT, from Howard University in DC, which had been MIA on the digital
dial from the start, suddenly showed up. It is analog 32 and digital 33,
and comes in well, although without a whole lot of signal margin, on the
Accurian too. This follows in the heels of WETA, which also suddenly
became a solid reception proposition, just few short months ago.

By the way, WHUT's analog transmitter is 5 MW, and digital 100 KW,
according to the FCC. So I suspect that the signal margin on the
Accurian will go up after the analog 5 MW is shut down. There are quite
a few such adjacencies in this market.

WHUT's PSIP clock is late by 2 minutes, more or less, so it is not up to
the accuracy of the other two PBS stations, but is right in there with
the bulk of the commercial stations.

It turns out that WHUT and WETA, respectively on analog 32 and 26, and
digital 33 and 27, will be remaining on these new channels after the
transition. So my question is, will they continue to identify themselves
as 32 and 26, or will they simplify matters by settling on their new
identities?

This table:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-07-228A2.pdf

lists only these two stations in DC as being besically set for after the
transition. All the others have last-minute changes to be done,
apparently. Which says to me that ease of reception is likely to improve
for these others (as happened with WETA and WHUT).