[opendtv] Re: News: Reps. Barton, Stearns Offer Alternative DTV Bill

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 10:24:47 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> They also have the 'luxury' of 8 MHz channels.

I don't think that's always a "luxury."

Most of the UK Freeview channels now are 16-QAM. Even with 1/32 GI and
3/4 FEC, they only get only 18.1 Mb/s capacity. Besides, with the UHF
discount, broadcasters in the US can own two 6 MHz channels per market,
right? That's 38.8 Mb/s of capacity.

I have no idea why places like Gainesville have had such a poor OTA
service. My bet is that it has nothing to do with true lack of spectrum.