[opendtv] Re: News: Plugging Into the Net, Through the Humble Wall Outlet

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:00:07 -0700

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
> Down the road, utilities could install Internet-enabled meters and
> switches to offer automated meter reading, power demand management
> and time-of-day pricing.

Time of day pricing? That just blew it right there. Now my broadband
comes for less but my power costs more. Supposedly. I suspect they will
make up the lost charges in unfathomable line-items. No doubt we will
still be charged for 'meter reading'.

> "We're great on technology, but not so good on working out the rules
> of the road," Mr. Copps said. "Nearly all of the industrialized
> nations except the U.S. have national plans for broadband. We don't
> have any comprehensive strategy."

Referring to themselves, that much is blatantly obvious.

Move over for
http://www.verizon.net/fios/

Cheers
Kon