[opendtv] Re: News: Philips Rolls Out 'Ambilight,' Cineos HDTV Lines

  • From: jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:43:58 +0200

Hi,

Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey, I want a cut too. ;-)

;-)

> But not for illuminating the walls but instead for putting 'Ambilight'
> on the black borders of wide screen TV's when displaying 4:3 material.
> This avoids burn in and makes the bars visually less obtrusive.
> I think the black borders are way more important than the room.
> See my impassioned plea and suggested video filter from a few months
> ago:  www.trbarry.com/Displaying_4x3_on_16x9.htm

You a Buffy fan too ?!

You do know that from Season 4 (?) onwards the whole series has
been shot in 16:9 ! BBC even broadcasts them in Anamorphic
(digital on DVB-S and DVB-T) and letterboxed (analog). I am
collecting all the DVDs, waiting for season 7 to appear.
If you can tell me from which episode and timestamp you got that
picture then I might send you the original widescreen sample.

The idea of putting neutral grey side bars next to the picture,
content-dependent or not, has been tried. It helps against
differential burn-in, but it is generally not appreciated.  :-(

My Y1992 CRT-RPTV applies pixel repetition on the left and right,
and then closes 2 shutters behind the screen to hide these areas.
Then the CRTs are well protected against burn-in, but the side
panels are obviously pitch-black.

The non-linear warp has been a standard feature of all of our
widescreen TVs since 1994 or so. The original idea was patented
by RCA and first applied by JVC, simply by increasing the value
of the S-correction capacitor. This increases the scanning speed
near the edges, but this unfortunately also reduces the edge
brightness a lot. For letterboxed movies there is of course the
"Movie expand" mode, both 16:9 and 14:9.

Later we have introduced the "Panic" and "Picnic" ICs, where the
warping is done by sample-rate conversion. Internally we call
this "Panorama mode", for the customers it's called "Superwide".
I believe that it has done a lot for the acceptance of 16:9
displays. (Emmy award !) The optimum is if the warping waveform
is a pure (i.e. full-width) parabola. You might want to try that.

There have been suggestions of applying the reverse function,
which we call "Amaronap" or "Paranoia" mode, e.g. for putting
a 16:9 program on a 4:3 screen, or for applying it vertically.
This method is perceptually much less attractive. With modern
scaling hardware all this is technically relatively easy to do.
The challenge is more in applying it with good taste. This
involves all sort of compromises between horizontal and vertical,
warping and cropping, playing with the overscan area, ...

Greetings,
-- Jeroen.
|-----------------------------+---------------------------------------|
| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen | E-mail:   Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx  |
| Building: SFJ-5.22 Eindhoven| Philips Digital Systems Laboratories  |
| Phone:    ++31.40.27.32739  | Visiting & mail address: Glaslaan 2   |
| Fax:      ++31.40.27.32572  | NL 5616 LW Eindhoven, the Netherlands |
| Pager:    ++31.6.6513.3818  | Visit us: http://www.pdsl.philips.com/|