[opendtv] Re: News: Philips Demonstrates HDTV Over White Space

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 18:00:07 -0400 (EDT)

I probably could have added a few words.  I've never seen an exparte filing
being used to establish that some technical accomplishment had been achieved.
I've never thought of Cmsnr. Copps as being an engineer, either.  (He's an
attorney.)

If everything in the presentation works as promised -- note the 2007 award,
when their 2007 unit didn't work as planned when submitted to the FCC in that
year -- I suspect they would have first just submitted it to the OET, and could
have announced the success there.

I've seen you quoted by name in trade press, Adam.  The article might have been
inspired by an ex-parte filing; the whole article wasn't just summarizing the
filing.

There are several things in that presentation that will no doubt get the MPAA
(etc) up in arms, so fun will ensue.

Assuming the "incumbent discovery" and frequency shifting issue is behind us
with this (are LPTV's incumbent?  how about those monitoring systems used in
hospitals?) this Philips system seems to be a very cool thing and will only
take three or four years to change the part 15 rules that prevent low power tv
devices.

I, for one, can't wait for the NAB's 'new attitude' (see the recent rhetoric
between them and musicFirst, including their response after musicFirst sent
them a dead herring in the mail) is extended to this field.

:-)