[opendtv] Re: News: No Motive for HDTV Rollouts

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:37:38 -0700

>But cable and satellite do not really have these restrictions so we
>will probably see more in between resolutions there.  Personally I
>think resolution should vary instantly and continuously based upon the
>channel capacity and the possible benefits offered by the source.
>Stat muxing re-encoders should be able to change them on the fly.

Ofcourse they do. They make their own restrictions. Restrictions mean
simplicity and simplicity means a low-cost STB.

Now if youre talking pirated movies and that whole scene of video caps
in 640x272 and other 'inbetween' resolutions, then you may have a point.
But you aren't going to see these used anywhere except some 'dude's HTPC
or PC.

If youre in the real world, good luck trying to convince the digital
asset management folks that you want to support anything under the sun.

Newbie datacast rollouts have previously attempted the 'use any
resolution' mechanism. Ofcourse the first thing to do is chuckle as the
extoll the virtues of the type of system you envisage. Eventually they
come to their senses and realize that it is more expedient and less time
consuming to pick a short-list of standard resolutions and one codec and
use this across the board. Anything else wastes time and money.

As for statmuxing VBR, you can do this already. You can use your
automation system to control the encoders and flip them between SD and
HD in the AM, or whatever the configuration is. All this stuff is
addressable over IP these days - no rocket science there.

However, changing resolutions at every flip of the coin is likely to
cause your STBs to fall over. Implementing such a system is an excercise
in futility.

Cheers
Kon