[opendtv] Re: News: No Motive for HDTV Rollouts

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:26:28 -0400

 > We are evolving into a world with MANY visual resolutions that are
 > appropriate for many applications. The notion that HDTV is going to
 > completely replace SDTV is absurd.

I think it is only the ATSC HD standard that has a high def, a low
def, and not much in between.  AFAIK, broadcasters have pretty much
stuck to 480i, 720p, and 1080i for some reason.

But cable and satellite do not really have these restrictions so we
will probably see more in between resolutions there.  Personally I
think resolution should vary instantly and continuously based upon the
channel capacity and the possible benefits offered by the source.
Stat muxing re-encoders should be able to change them on the fly.

- Tom