[opendtv] Re: News: Nielsen Gives Fuzzy Picture of HDTV Penetration

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:18:30 -0500

At 8:22 PM -0500 11/8/07, Cliff Benham wrote:
I was originally thinking there actually were some 14:9 CRT sets sold in Europe.
Can anyone provide any evidence?
Thanks.

None that I am aware of. 14:9 was just a compromise programming format to help ease the transition to 16:9 widescreen sets. In essence, there were small bars at top and bottom of 16:9 displays and a portion of the 14:9 source programming was cropped to fill 4:3 screens.