[opendtv] Re: News: Nielsen Gives Fuzzy Picture of HDTV Penetration

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 19:12:19 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cliff Benham" <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I thought those were 14:9 sets in Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PALplus

I guess I was remembering that some EBU programs were produced in 14:9:

A common compromise is to shoot or create material at an aspect ratio of 14:9, and to lose some image at each side for 4:3 presentation, and some image at top and bottom for 16:9 presentation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television

The 14:9 format -sometimes known as 14:9 letterbox - is an agreed specification of the European Broadcasting Union. This specifies that programmes made in 16:9 must be produced in a 'shoot and protect' mode of 14:9 to ensure that viewers using conventional 4:3 TV receivers do not lose any essential picture information.
http://www.rte.ie/tv/widescreen.html

If you are watching analogue television on a 4:3 set, however, you will see a picture a little smaller than you are used to, with narrow black 'letterboxing' bars above and below the picture. This image has an aspect ratio of 14:9 and is a curiously British compromise between widescreen and 4:3.
http://www.screenonline.org.uk/tv/widescreen/widescreen2.html

Currently from a broadcast point of view there are aspect ratios other than 4:3, 16:9 and 2.35:1 being broadcast, I assume they are ment to be the standard but there are other formats being used with smaller bands at the top. I think some transmissions are based on 14:9 source material. I also have the official DVD from the Avalon Airshow that Celebrated 100 Years of Powered Flight <http://www.geocities.com/saussie01au/avalon.html>. For some reason it was produced in the 14:9 format...
http://www.geocities.com/dxaussie01au/buying.html

"For some years to come it is fair to say that the majority of viewers will see 14:9."
http://quicktime.rushes.co.uk/tech_16x9_guide.pdf