[opendtv] Re: News: Nielsen Gives Fuzzy Picture of HDTV Penetration

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 16:46:09 -0500

My shot at humble pie.

It seems I was incorrect in my original premise to Bert after all. PalPlus broadcasts a letterboxed 16x9 image within a 4x3 video display, and PalPlus sets detect the signaling to fill a 16x9 screen with the letterboxed 4x3 video, with help from some "enhancement data" in the letterboxed area to increase vertical luminance resolution somewhat.

Thanks, Cliff, for pointing that out.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cliff Benham" <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I thought those were 14:9 sets in Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PALplus