[opendtv] Re: News: New Cable Fight at Hand

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 15:15:54 -0700

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The multiple unnecessary standards become a nuisance for consumers. Maybe not
> a huge nuisance, but they still can't help but increase the price of
> everything. For example, they create a need for CDNs to unravel the mess. And
> they make it virtually impossible for video cards to work equally well on all
> streams. If that should ever happen, someone will quickly create a new
> standard. It's a racket, that's all.

Totally agree. It's been a few years for me concentrating solely on
'internet' and 'mobile' streaming now, and in that time there has been
considerable churn. The good thing about being a CDN is you have to
embrace all technologies since any one may become the 'popular' one.
The bad things is making them all interoperate. But the way I see it
going is HTTP dynamic/segmented streaming served like a commodity to
HTML5-based decoders. Everything else will just be fluff. The codec
battle will be between H264 and WebM. I see WebM winning -- it's not
even out of the gates and the next rev of Android hardware coming in
the next few months will have hardware acceleration (and the CDN
streaming software is already tooling up to support it).

Cheers
Kon