[opendtv] Re: News: New Cable Fight at Hand

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 16:05:32 -0500

Kon Wilms wrote:

>> All of these streaming media schemes can decode all the same popular
>> codecs. Not only that, they also all seem to have roughly the same
>> ways of getting around the inherent problems created in media stream
>> delivery, over an inherently non-synchronized protocol, i.e. IP.
>> Like Adobe's RTMP, for example.
>
> Not true. There are basically these solutions for delivery transports
> for 'internet' video:
>
> 1. RTMP
> 2. HTTP Progressive
> 3. HTTP Segmented
> 4. Smooth Streaming
>
> That's it.

So? What's "not true" about what I wrote? Do these techniques not all have to
solve the same problem, i.e. that of delivering frames synchronously to a
decoder, when the frames arrive with lots of jitter? And don't most of the
streaming media protocols allow both UDP and TCP delivery, and also wrapping in
HTTP?

I wasn't saying that RTMP is the only solution.