[opendtv] Re: News: New Cable Fight at Hand

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 11:52:42 -0400

On 3/31/2011 11:12 AM, dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Kon writes:

"The difference between you and me is that you are a complete Apple
fanboy, incapable of objectively discussing Apple and its competitors.
I don't have that problem (on my desk I have two ipads, three
iphone4s, two n900s, an android tablet and a nokia e7)."

This quote is a brilliant example of what is wrong with our media
distribution technologies!

Dan

The real problem is there is no one single standard embodying the best of all the technologies. If there were, everything would 'just' work and every type of device would be compatible with all the others..

This has been brought home to me solidly by the many postings on professional lists that deal with the playback, restoration and conservation of programs on "dead" media; i.e. videotape, audiotape and
analog disk recordings.

There are so many varieties of formats that finding a working player for
some is impossible.

Suppose each country had its own different standard of physical measurement, or of time and frequency?

What is an imperial gallon anyway?

Look at how badly editing, time code and standards conversion were screwed up by making 59.94 the "standard" for NTSC video.

This was done in 1953 because RCA was overly concerned about the appearance of a 920 kHz beat pattern in pictures on early, pre-color B&W TV sets. Not a color set problem, a B&W set problem!

Editing, timecode and standards conversion would have been much easier if the color subcarrier frequency had been left at its initial frequency of 3.583125 mHz because H would still be 15,750 and V would still be 60.

The problem is there are far too many "standards" in the world to have universal compatibility.

Until there can be universal agreement on how best to accomplish a given technical process, the world is doomed to having millions of
"standards", none of which is compatible with the others.

Cliff