[opendtv] Re: News: New Cable Fight at Hand

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 08:53:40 -0700

From the article:

> Other media executives worry that encouraging viewers to watch on
> iPads could train a new generation to eschew TVs-and potentially
> never sign up for cable and satellite subscriptions that often
> bring in half TV networks' revenue.

And Dan replied:

> Perhaps, but if people cannot get their programs on their portable
> device (and want them there), they might start cancelling their
> cable subscription and go to other services that will allow them
> to view media on their device, ...

> In fact, media "channels" like HGTV, MTV and Discovery might lose
> viewership as media consumers look to programming that can be
> viewed on their portable device.

And Bert Replied:

>But at least SOME of these media content companies ALREADY provide their
content to any standard Internet device. You mention HGTV and MTV, and they
do this already:

>http://www.hgtv.com/full-episodes/package/index.html

>http://www.mtv.com/

Response:
Which even further erodes the media executive's case!  They'll let you
watch their shows on a portable device without charge (ad supported) over
the internet but not by way of a subscription through the cable company?

The only conclusion I can take away from this is Craig's conclusion; pure
greed (on the part of the media conglomerates).

Bert also responded with the following question:

"They don't seem to provide the live stream, although some would argue that
those on-the-go might prefer an on demand service anyway? Then too, hasn't
the "by appointment" nature of TV been vilified time and time again on this
site?"

Exactly, another reason that cable companies are trying to provide services
like storing and forwarding to the subscriber content that is being paid
for.  And the media conglomerates are against this, too.

In my opinion, the big media conglomerates better re-think their strategy
if they want to keep their revenue stream else the current youth, with
their portable devices, will grow up on different media and they will be
like todays broadcasters, struggling to generate revenue.  Based on my
experiences with the high school and college students that I come in
contact with, the current is already flowing in that direction.

Dan