[opendtv] Re: News: NCTA: HBO's Zitter Says DRM Is Misnomer

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 09:27:52 -0400

Not yet, but there will be. Currently HD capable MPEG encoders cost several thousands dollars. But a decade ago SD MPEG encoders cost that much but today are dirt cheap chipsets.

But I read that someone cracked Blu-Ray and HD-DVD encryption already anyway, and there was a big to-do over at Digg about it.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Birkmaier" <craig@xxxxxxxxx>

I am not aware of any consumer equipment that provides HD analog component inputs for recording. I may be wrong, as it would be possible to do this on Blu Ray or HD-DVD, however I think that they are specifically not allowing this feature on High Def DVD recorders. So the only way to record this stuff is with professional HD recording formats...easy for a well funded pirate, but very difficult for a consumer.