[opendtv] Re: News: NCTA: HBO's Zitter Says DRM Is Misnomer

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 07:37:01 -0400

At 4:28 PM -0400 5/10/07, John Limpert wrote:
All this talk about the "analog hole" assumes that it is practical for
the casual pirate to digitize, capture, and compress the HD video from
the component outputs of the STB or other HD video source. Is that
really true?

NO.

I am not aware of any consumer equipment that provides HD analog component inputs for recording. I may be wrong, as it would be possible to do this on Blu Ray or HD-DVD, however I think that they are specifically not allowing this feature on High Def DVD recorders. So the only way to record this stuff is with professional HD recording formats...easy for a well funded pirate, but very difficult for a consumer.

Keep in mind, that the REAL analog hole is an anatomical feature of the back lot lawyers in Hollywood, who are trying to control their product from the moment it is released into distribution until the moment you pay for it...

again and again and again...