[opendtv] Re: News: NAB/MSTV Tout Digital Dozen

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 21:40:39 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
 > For example, the CEA cannot ignore the ho hum results of
 > multiple receiver tests performed even by the FCC, in years
 > past (2002). Hence, to claim there are no problems for the NAB
 > blessing program to address is disingenuous.

I do not always support all the activities and priorities of the NAB.

But I support much of what they are doing here.  I think it has been
shown the CE companies consistently state, and maybe even believe, that
the current ATSC receiver chips are sufficient.  Now it is possible
those receivers really are sufficient and it is possible they will at
least be sufficient in a couple years.  But having the NAB demand the CE
companies put it in writing with RFP's and eventual contracts makes me
feel a bit better about the possibility of finding out the real truth
before the digital transition ends in a possibly embarrassing fashion.

Congress should wholeheartedly voice support the NAB's efforts in this
if we are to believe OTA TV will still have a competitive chance after
the transition.  If the CE companies truly believe they can build decent
receivers for the previously bandied prices then they should have no
trouble signing contracts to do so, even if there will certainly be some
performance criteria.

- Tom