[opendtv] Re: News; Music sharing doesn't kill CD sales, studysays

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 07:49:46 -0500

At 2:32 PM -0500 3/31/04, Cliff Benham wrote:

It occurrs to me that it is certainly in the best intrerests
of the RIAA and it's lawyers if the survey's they quote
show that those who are downloading are buying less.

I have also seen an article that indicates Rhapsody, iToons and
other legal music services are contributing to the change in CD sales.

Yes, the music business is changing.

But one of the major reasons that CD sales have declined is sitting right in front of our ears, but is rarely mentioned.

The music industry is not promoting many new acts, and much of the new stuff they are promoting sucks. I listen to a classic rock station - there is little of interest to me to invest in. Of course, I am not the target customer.

Another factor is the bundling of crap into a CD. I suspect that some parents have clamped down on their kids purchases after hearing a few of these CDs. In recent years I have been riding with my daughter (she just turned 18) and she would reach over and turn down the volume - self censorship - so that I would not hear some of the lyrics. Upon closer examination, many of her most cherished CDs had one or two songs that got radio air-play, and a bunch of filth to pad out the CD.

Clearly one of the biggest changes that is starting to impact CD sales is the ability to access music on an ala carte basis. iTunes allows you to buy single tracks, but they still sell many "albums" thanks to the discounted price versus single track pricing. In addition to concerns about piracy, the labels are also reacting to this end run around a system that has allowed them to charge $10-15 for a CD with a few good songs and a bunch of filler.

It is not surprising that the media conglomerates are resisting a technology revolution that allows individual consumers to buy only the content they want.