[opendtv] Re: News: Microsoft, Philips Offer New White Space Test Results

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 12:50:13 -0400

Bert,

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

I have my doubts. However, I would ask again. if this is true:

"The devices detected DTV signals above -114 dBm-the sensitivity
threshold suggested by the technology companies of the White Space
Coalition-100 percent of the time, according to the companies."

then why don't the tuner manufacturers improve all DTT tuners to be that
sensitive? That would improve long range detection and/or allow for use
of lower power transmitters. Assuming, that is, the spectrum wasn't full
of noise makers such as these devices they want to allow.

I'm sure there is no difference at all between being able to detect a carrier and being able to reliably demod it.

John