[opendtv] News: Mel Karmazin Named New Head Of Sirius Satellite Radio

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:23:59 -0500

http://www.radioink.com/headlineentry.asp?hid=125916&pt=inkheadlines

Mel Karmazin Named New Head Of Sirius Satellite Radio
The board of directors of Sirius Satellite Radio has named Mel
Karmazin as Chief Executive Officer. He succeeds Joseph P. Clayton,
who will remain at Sirius as chairman of the board of directors.

"The hiring of Mel Karmazin is the final piece in the turnaround of
Sirius that began when I joined the company three years ago," Clayton
commented. "My contract was ending on December 31, and I advised the
board that I was willing to stay on for a transitional period. When
Mel left Viacom, we all felt we had a unique opportunity. I am very
confident that Mel will accelerate the very positive momentum that we
have established at Sirius in the past two years."

"This is a perfect opportunity for me because I want to lead a growth
company that can reshape the landscape of the radio business," added
Karmazin, who served as president/CEO of Viacom until earlier this
year. "I took Infinity Broadcasting and Westwood One to leadership
positions in the industry and am confident that Sirius will become a
market leader in short order. I will inherit a first-class management
group led by co-presidents Scott Greenstein and James Meyer. I look
forward to working closely with Joe Clayton and the strong team that
he has assembled."