[opendtv] Re: News: Many Obstacles to Digital TV Reception, Study Says

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:00:23 -0800

Cliff;

I'm about three miles inland; my antenna r/c (reception center) is about 120
f AMSL; probably a bit less.  I'd give out the coordinates on a google map,
but I don't want visitors.

The major advantages of my reception condition is the elevation of Mt Wilsom
AMSL (5800 feet), the flat terrain that extends north about 20 miles from my
location, and the fact that just over that hill, is a path that is mostly
over water; we're famous for our ducting.

I would beg to differ on null fill or beam tilt have much if anything to do
with not receiving near-in stations; the RF levels at these ranges with or
without null-fill are always plenty hot.  (I would offer up Mt Wilson as an
exception, as it's close to the community of license and WELL above it.

The nearby transmitters are about 400 feet above my receive location.  400
feet in 20,000 isn't much of a dip.  At the other location I am familiar
with, the receive point is about 2200 feet below the tx point, and about 8
miles laterally.

John Willkie