[opendtv] Re: News: Local TV is no longer a cash cow

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 15:36:36 -0400

Craig Birkmaier posted:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/bal-te.to.localtv03apr03,0,374
8488.story

It seems to me that there are two different topics here:

1. The way OTA TV should be evolving, and

2. What local TV broadcasters should be creating.

It is no surprise at all to me that OTA TV, *and* terrestrial radio,
should be evolving something that isn't as heavily into "local TV" or
"local radio." After all, the vast majority of what people want from
their cable or DBS channels, or satellite radio, has nothing at all to
do with "local." So, 85 percent of US households evidently don't view
"localism" as being so very important.

My question has long been, and continues to be, why should the survival
of the OTA network be handicapped with this "localism" emphasis, when it
seems abundantly clear that the reason people flock to MVPDs is exactly
the opposite of "localism"?

It's good for the station CEOs to be investigating alternative ideas for
what sort of content they create and how they distribute it. And at the
same time, it seems that terrestrial distribution networks should also
be allowed to evolve too, and one example would be the increase, or
abolition of, the national cap. Keep the local caps, abolish the
national cap.