[opendtv] Re: News: Local TV Stations Are Facing Severe Cost Pressures--Here's How They Should Cut

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 18:49:22 -0800

Actually, Bert, I think you have confused "ESPN on ABC" for "ESPN" being
carried over the air.  The former has been the case for several years; you
must not watch tv sports very often/closely, combined with your lack of ever
having cable at your home.

If ESPN were carried by over the air stations, the cable firms -- who pay
dearly per sub per month -- would bitch.  Such carriage is not permitted
under the terms of the cable/espn carriage contracts.

To be explicit, much of the sports on ABC is now called "ESPN on ABC."  You
can liken it to a "positioning statement."

John Willkie