[opendtv] Re: News: LTE Tempts With Advanced Services

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 07:59:22 -0400

At 4:38 AM -0400 6/7/12, Albert Manfredi wrote:
No, more exactly, this ONLY matters for live sports, pretty much. On any given week, just how many hours of live sports do you think OTA broadcasters broadcast? Maybe a couple on Saturday afternoon, most of the year? HARDLY enough to justify building an efficient broadcast infrastructure. Oh, and they don't want to anyway! They are talking LTE!

I will grant you that a large portion of live sports is no longer broadcast - it has moved to MVPDs because of the huge subscriber fees that can be collected to help pay for the rights. There are live sporting events ALL THE TIME, and people DO want to see this stuff on their mobile platforms. ESPN3 is already capturing a large audience, BUT...

I just watched a NCAA BAseball Tournament game on ESPN3 last week. In order to view it I had to enter my Cox Cable user name and password. The live sports market is going to be mostly a paid service, but this does not preclude broadcasters from delivering the bits.

And again, mobile users are even less likely to want live broadcast than your home viewers, because on-the-go means you can't easily set aside the right time to watch. More reason not to obsess about true live broadcast. (Although, of course, live broadcast is doable also over a unicast network. So don't go off on this other tangent, please. I can watch any number of live and recorded Internet streams on my TV anytime I please, from all over the world, literally. If I can, so can anyone on a 3G or "4G" cell phone or tablet, since these come with web access.)

You make some good points here. Most program length viewing takes place in homes, or on long airplane rides. People typically don't want to watch program length content on cell phones, however, tablets are becoming "second screens" that are used both on the go and in homes. I think you are underestimating the potential number of viewers who will use a Broadcast LTE service.

As John points out, there are still more than 20 million people viewing the networks during prime time. One MAJOR reason that people are not going to shift to wireless unicast services to view this content is COST. The telcos are keeping the cost of data bit high; it's just not practical to watch program length content when you have a few gigabits per month on your mobile data plan. In time these costs will come down, but spectrum is still a scarce resource, and as John points out, it is going to be very difficult to deliver unicasts to tens of millions of people - that's what broadcasting is for.

If LTE broadcasts can be viewed for free, or for very reasonable fees, there will be a large audience.

When broadcasters build out, or more likely rent from Verizon or AT&T, this expensive 2-way infrastructure, why on earth would they worry about trying to make local storage in end user devices work? That local storage model ONLY makes sense *if* your infrastructure is limited to one-way broadcast. But it is ridiculous to think that wireless download to local storage has a prayer of competing with content stored in "cloud servers," both in terms of how much content can be made available, and how fast loads of new content can be stored. I trust you will resist the urge to argue against such an obvious point.

You are totally out of touch with reality. Million of people are using mobile devices to cache content. Just to remind you, the iPod started a revolution with "A thousand songs in your pocket." I have never streamed content from iTunes, but i HAVE downloaded TV shows and Movies to watch on my mobile devices (laptop and smart phone) - it's difficult to stream content at 40,000 feet when you are on a 4-5 hour flight. The airlines are beginning to offer WiFi, but the cost is even higher than telco bits.

The real issue is WHERE you are watching. Streaming works great on you home TV because you are connected to a wired ISP; it even works with a tablet (or smart phone) in the home, when you add a WiFi router.

With mobile devices the cost for bits is the real issue, and time to watch a close second. Short programs - like the Festival video - are what many people are watching on smart phones. But even here, it is more likely that the user will try to use a WiFi networks to avoid burning up wireless bits. The first thing I did with the festival video was to download it to my phone via iTunes (the app, not the store), so that I could share it with people anytime anywhere.

The reality is that mobile devices have enough storage to cache enough content for the day, or a short trip. If broadcasters can create simple services to deliver these bits to cache, they will survive, perhaps even thrive. Here's a really short Tweet that says it all:

In the future, consumers will SUBSCRIBE to the programs they want to see.

The bits will be delivered to "your storage," whether it is a server in the cloud, the server in your home, or the devices that you use to watch the program. Consumers will still "search" and stream content on demand, but the stuff they want to see all the time will be cached when you hit the subscribe button. The key here is price.

I would dump cable in a nanosecond, if I could spend the >$70/month I am sending to Cox to subscribe to the few shows I watch (e.g. $5 - 10 for a full season), or a reasonable fee to watch a live event such as a football game ($1-2). And i would watch free (ad supported) services to fill in the gaps.

And these servers already exist! All this stuff is already in place. All we're really talking about here is to change the mindset of TV networks and broadcasters, to go all-out with Internet unicast streaming, vs broadcast. And perhaps increasing the capacity of existing two-way wireless nets, with some TV spectrum. That's about it.

Yup. cable could move to a unicast model very quickly. They can do this because they CREATE bandwidth via their wired infrastructure. Get rid hundreds of channels of 24/7 streams, and reuse the bandwidth in every neighborhood with a branching tree infrastructure and they are there.

Unfortunately, this is far more difficult - but not impossible - with a wireless broadcast infrastructure. It's all about spectral re-use. You can use a 6 MHz channel to deliver the same bits in a radius of 40 miles from a big stick, or use a cellular network to improve spectral reuse. In that 6 MHz channel you may deliver several program streams to every cell, and checkerboard the rest to deliver different bits to different cells (neighborhoods).

People on handheld devices have become accustomed to VOD from any number of places, for any amount of content. Without having to make sure that their hand held device was turned on all of the time to receive that content, was within good reception range, or any of that. Never mind the drain on the battery, for all this downloading while the cell phone is in your pocket. Just doesn't make sense, when cloud servers are there and the network is 2-way.

What drain is there on the battery when it is plugged into a charger and downloading bits you have subscribed to overnight?

The real problem is the combination of high cost per bit and power drain when you use the telco data network to stream.

Oh, I don't believe the broadcast mode of LTE has been actually developed anyway? No doubt, in large part because service providers are much more interested in keeping track of bandwidth used by each subscriber than they are to optimize how their bandwidth gets used, when they provide two-way networks.

Perhaps you should watch this AGAIN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsmbwQCpxlY

LTE is already being deployed widely. LTE multicasts can easily be implement TODAY.

The real issue here is how broadcasters build out their portion of the LTE broadcast infrastructure, using existing TV spectrum.

First, spectrum pooling is critical. Having each broadcaster in a market operating one 6 MHz multiplex is inefficient. You need a utility model that manages a large chunk of spectrum across the multiple cells that define a market geographically.

Next you need infrastructure. The cellular business has already moved to an infrastructure management model where a third party manages the cell sites and everyone can attach. This model could easily be expanded to support Broadcast LTE. Broadcasters could add a significant number of transmitter sites in urban markets, and use higher power LTE Broadcast using existing big sticks in rural markets.

And finally you need intelligent management of the utility to maximize throughput. For a small independent broadcaster - say a religious channel - it would be far cheaper to pay for a few MB/sec for their service than to operate a 6 MHz big stick. And for the broadcasters (like Sinclair?) who understand this opportunity, they could access more bits as they develop profitable services.

So, I think what this whole switch-over will really mean going from broadcast to unicast. Assuming TV networks feel this imperative. Maybe a broadcaster or two, in a market area, will create their own 2-way wireless service. Or maybe the extra spectrum will go to Verizon and AT&T, and TV networks (and some local broadcasters?) will piggy back off these wireless ISPs, as they are already doing anyway.

So in the end, you agree...

;-)

It's going to happen one way or the other. The only question is whether broadcasters wake up and smell the opportunity, or ride down the ship with only the tips of a few big sticks remaining above an ocean of bits controlled by others.