[opendtv] Re: News: LTE Tempts With Advanced Services

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 15:02:10 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The whole ATSC debacle was about protecting broadcast spectrum, just
> as the current debate is about keeping spectrum out of the hands of
> the Telcos.

Your repeated refrain. I'm sure this played a part, though, and any idea of
creating an LTE broadcast-only infrastructure, just for TV broadcast, would
certainly not change this point.

If I were the current FCC commish, bent on the single goal of making wireless
broadband more ubiquitous, I'd say no. I'd say, if the FCC is going to go to
the trouble of refiguring the TV spectrum for LTE, there's no way we'll allow
that LTE to be handicapped as a one-way broadcast medium. I'd add, for emphasis
at the end, "That's ludicrous."

> It took the congloms awhile, but they have figured out how to stay in
> control - all you need is an MVPD subscription.
>
> Makes one wonder if Bert will finally be forced to give in...

At first, it appeared that CBS was the greediest of online streamers. Now, it
has become Fox. But even Fox allows online viewing, after 8 days, without an
MVPD subscription.

No, at this point, being "forced" to give in like a lemming, just because the
greediest want a dual revenue stream, even if that means having to depend on
inefficient labor-intensive infrastructures to do so, has become too obnoxious.