[opendtv] Re: News: LTE Tempts With Advanced Services

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 14:50:11 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Stop trying to weasel out of this Bert. On 6/7 you wrote:
>
> So, I think what this whole switch-over will really mean going
> from broadcast to unicast.
>
> Then you continued to defend this  position is subsequent posts.

I guess your reading comprehension skills haven't improved, then.

My response was fourfold: one was to explain what this whole LTE switch
(apparently) *actually* consisted of a switch from broadcast to unicast (and of
course IP multicast is part of that options package) primarily. The second
aspect was to explain why this is already available today to broadcasters and
congloms, via existing ISPs and WISPs, without having to go to any trouble
installing anything new of their own. The third was to say that the majority of
OTA broadcasters would go out of business, if this change happened. And the
fourth was to say that mobile devices especially benefit from on-demand
content, because people on the go are not likely to be watching on a
broadcaster-determined schedule.

> The reality is that there will continue to be a large audience
> for Prime Time TV,

The "reality" is that this prime time audience can continue to exist, with or
without a switch to IP unicast/multicast over LTE, or over anything else you
can dream up. The congloms get to decide, no matter what infrastructure you
have, when to first release any material, and whether to release it as FOTA *at
all*. And the congloms are already today deciding just how much, and when, to
make their content available over the IP unicast ISPs. So bottom line, it's all
up to them anyway. A switch to LTE, IMO, fundamentally changes nothing.

> I just posted a story that talks about the huge increase in
> viewing during prime time on tablets. Guess what - these tablets
> will be able to receive LTE broadcasts in your home, or when you
> are mobile.

Tablets can receive TV-via-ISP content via WiFi at home, or they receive it
also via 3G/4G TV telco services (the Kindle Fire doesn't have 3G/4G at this
time), or they COULD also receive it via ATSC and ATSC MH. There's still no
reason for any switch.

> Do you know what is one of the most lucrative markets for OTA TV
> today?
>
> Tailgate parties outside of stadiums.

Tailgate parties can either be served by ATSC and ATSC MH, or they can be
served by 3G/4G TV service via your telco, or they can be served by WiFi
hotspots if the broadcasters agree to have their stuff streamed. You do not
need any special new LTE TV-only new infrastructure for any of this. I'm
repeating this same thing over and over.

> The imperative is that the OTA audience is small and declining,
> and TV broadcasters are NOT participating in the emerging mobile
> markets.

A switch to TV-only LTE won't change that. A switch to TV-only LTE will
immediately put most broadcasters out of business (what would they have left to
do?), and it won't change what the congloms think about FOTA distribution. If
FOTA is declining, and I'm hardly convinced it is, then it can be revived
easily by the owners of content. Not by a change to modulation.

> the telcos are going to price bits at a level that is prohibitive
> for viewing program length content.

That's not convincing. For one thing, the very few remaining broadcasters that
provide this supposed LTE TV infrastructure can easily become just as greedy as
the telcos (why wouldn't they?), and for another, what the telcos charge for TV
viewing would be totally up to negotiation. This more expensive utility will
behave just like another ISP or another MVPD. It's so easily predictable that
it hurts.

> THat being said, I do not see much use of the LTE broadcast
> infrastructure for unicasts.

Well, then, forget about wasting spectral efficiency on LTE!! Wow. What an easy
solution to this problem. If you don't need the 2-way feature, go to something
optimized for broadcast. Stick with ATSC, or if anything, switch to DVB-T2. At
least then, you won't cut off the OTA broadcast industry at the knees.