[opendtv] Re: News: LTE Tempts With Advanced Services

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 17:14:36 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The only way broadcasters are going to get back into the game is
> if they adopt the SAME standard that is already being deployed in
> new smart phones and tablets - i.e. LTE.

> Clearly, if the existing business model for broadcast TV is failing,

Sorry, Craig, but quite honestly, this sounds no more convincing than the old
saw about we should have gone to DVB-T to save OTA TV. Modulation is not what
makes the difference. Going to LTE does not change the way cellcos and congloms
view FOTA TV.

> Can't download from ATSC unless you spend a bunch of time and money.

That's silly. Downloading from ATSC or from ATSC MH is as easy as the equipment
vendors want it to be. And at the same time, downloading from any purported
LTE-TV-exclusive spectrum is just as difficult as the equipment vendors want it
to be. There's nothing easier to design than an ATSC receiver box, with WiFi,
USB, or Bluetooth output, to feed stuff to a smart phone or tablet.

None of this is rocket science. The only thing preventing it from happening are
road blocks that would prevent ANY other kind of FOTA TV-exclusive medium to
prosper.