[opendtv] Re: News: Intel introduces chips designed to improve Internet video quality

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 14:08:20 -0500

 Note that there is no need for a 4:2:2 color space for progressive
 images.

Can you explain this?

I thought that 4:2:2 uses half the luminance bandwidth for Cb and Cr,
horizontally. And that 4:2:0 uses half the luminance bandwidth for
either Cb or Cr, where Cb and Cr are either alternating line by line or
centered between alternating lines.

I thought that 4:2:0 was especially well suited for interlaced images,
and 4:2:2 would be ideal for progressively scanned images.

Mark has already addressed this to some extent, but there is a bit more to the story.

Here are two sites with explanitions with accompanying graphics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling

http://www.larryjordan.biz/articles/lj_sampling.html

The big problem here is that the notation system kinda breaks down for progressive images.

The basis for all of this is that the human visual system is less sensitive to color resolution than luminance resolution - you can verify this by the distribution of foveal sensors that are responsible for color vision.

An easy way to get an extra compression kick in composite video system is to reduce the resolution of the color difference signals prior to analog (NTSC/PAL) encoding. Thus the color bandwidth for PAL is half that or the luminance, while in NTSC one color difference signal gets half resolution while the other gets less than one quarter.

Wikipedia tells us:

The YIQ system is intended to take advantage of human color-response characteristics. The eye is more sensitive to changes in the orange-blue (I) range than in the purple-green range (Q) - therefore less bandwidth is required for Q than for I. Broadcast NTSC limits I to 1.3 MHz and Q to 0.4 MHz.

In an ideal world, you could reduce the color bandwidth by half in both the horizontal and vertical domains, as this is how the foveal sensors are distributed in the human visual system.

But, as Mark indicates, reducing the color resolution in the vertical domain is very difficult with interlaced imagery, as the alternating lines of color information come from different sampling periods (fields). To help maintain color integrity in digital sampling systems for interlaced video we typically sample every line for both color difference signals. The 4:2:2 notation tells us that we have half the horizontal resolution per line for each color difference signal. The best way to think of this is that each field has 640 x 240 luma resolution and 320 x 240 color resolution for each color difference signal.

If we throw away vertical color information, as with MPEG-2 encoding or the 4:1:1 sampling used in some low cost camcorders, we can observe the loss of color detail. The Wikipedia article has some excellent graphics to illustrate this.

the 4:2:0 notation has different connotations for interlaced and progressive video frames. As i noted, the notation system loses its meaning when we try to apply it to progressive frames. When we subsample the color difference signals in the vertical domain for a progressive image we typically wind up with 1/4 the total number of color difference samples, but the color image has 1/2 the resolution in both the H & V axis. This is possible because all samples come from the same temporal sampling period.

When we try to apply MPEG-2 encoding techniques to interlaced video we run into problems. The luminance samples for the combined frame come from distinct fields that are 1/60th of a second apart in terms of the sampling time. When there is a high level of motion this can cause significant problems for the algorithm; thus there are routines in MPEG-2 to encode interlace that allow the fields to be compressed independently when there is rapid motion. But the color difference samples that correspond to the luminance samples come from both fields and must be combined to reduce the vertical resolution by half. This results in a significant loss of color resolution for interlaced sources with MPEG-2, as can be seen in the images on Wikipedia.

In the same vein, using 4:2:2 sampling for progressive images only brings up the level of horizontal detail while doubling the sampling rate for the color difference signals. The nominal way to deal with color subsampling with progressive frames is to retain full resolution (4:4:4) or to reduce color resolution by half with the odd nomenclature of 4:2:0. We could also reduce it by half again, with a more logical nomenclature of 4:1:1 (which is also different than sampling interlace with at 4:1:1. I might add that we are also starting to see the 8:4:4 nomenclature, which is typically used to denote a higher sampling rate for the luminance signals.

So in essence your thinking was just reversed:

4:2:0 is best for sampling progressive images

4:2:2 is best for sampling interlaced images

Another reason why there is no logical rationale for using interlace when we move to digital video compression.