[opendtv] Re: News: Intel introduces chips designed to improve Internet video quality

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 08:55:46 -0800

Isn't this use case here software-only?

John Willkie

-----Mensaje original-----
De: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] En
nombre de John Shutt
Enviado el: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 5:47 AM
Para: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Asunto: [opendtv] Re: News: Intel introduces chips designed to improve
Internet video quality

Craig,

I couldn't disagree with you more.

Far from being ludicrous, adding 1080p60 to MPEG-2 makes sense to me.

MPEG-2, at higher bitrates and 4:2:2 color space, is a relatively benign way

to encode material for editing and other manipulation before ultimate
emission.

MPEG-4, especially if the full toolkit is used, not just the basic level
that is used for videoconferencing and those cheapie "H.264" internet
encoders, makes for a good one time encode for emission, but is not suitable

for multiple "passes" in the typical production process

MPEG-2 1080p60 4:2:2 can compete effectively with HDCam's 3:1:1 or DVCPRO
100's 4:1:1 color spaces for NLE.

Now, if you're just talking emission standards then yes, I agree it is
ludicrous.

John