[opendtv] Re: News: High Dynamic Range imaging

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 15:36:53 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
 > One of the magical aspects of film negatives is that they do not have
 > linear capture characteristics. The knee and toe that i mentioned
 > yesterday, are in fact a very important aspect of film response. Over
 > the mid range values film tends to be linear, as is the case for
 > electronic sensors. But in the blacks and whites at the ends of the
 > linear range film has a logarithmic response - essentially an
 > S-curve. This additional range can provide more image detail in the
 > blacks and whites (based on the actual exposure), and it can be used
 > during printing or digital scanning to bring out the details desired.

I've wondered for some time now if it would be better to use some
non-fixed color space where that S-curve, log curve, or whatever was
parametrically defined for each frame, based upon the probability
distribution of the actual values needed.  The actual values used for
each frame would be determined at the time of down converting from some
higher bit space, say in the camera or telecine machine.

That still wouldn't get around the limitations of the sensors but likely
would give more range to things like 8-bit encoding.

- Tom