[opendtv] Re: News: High Dynamic Range imaging

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 13:32:11 -0400

We used to have a photolab. Created murals of up to 100 ft using Cibachrome.
Probably spent five years of my life, that is total hours, in discussions
and experiments on masking to try to dig out of film the dynamic range that
was possible from information that was present in just one exposure. We made
multiple masks (b&w film) from the original color film and made new mask
from those multiple mask all done at different exposures and color balances.
Then they were sandwiched together, the resulting mask, with the original
positive, to make color duplicates which were used for the final printing.
There was an infinite range of possibilities including the chemistry we used
to process the film which we made ourselves. It was truly crazy. The hope
that digital photography offered had us involved in the earliest digital
scanners being used in the medical field and the earliest 4 x 5 and 8 x 10
digital cameras that used rooms to house the hard disk storage.

We  bought an 11 x 14" camera from the Franklin mint that was a huge two
legged monster and commissioned our own lenses. Oh and we then made mask for
the, in this case, 11 x 14" duplicates. Exposures were sometimes in the hour
long time frame. We had to turn off our custom built, water cooled light
sources to let them cool off during exposures.

Times change.

Bob Miller