[opendtv] Re: News: High Dynamic Range imaging

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 09:32:27 -0400

Interesting article, and something I don't think I've ever properly
considered before.  Can anyone explain why you couldn't solve the
problem simply by extra pixel bit depth, maybe in a log scale?  I'm not
sure why you need to take multiple pictures.

Also, assume you instead are Hollywood and currently starting from film
cameras, getting some extra dynamic range.  Is there still extra range
by the time you transfer it to some electronic medium?  If so, why?  Do
telecine machines just have better range than cameras?  Can that extra
range transfer all the way to, say, DVD, or HDTV displays?

And does film have better range in theater film projectors as opposed to
current digital theaters?

And how the heck does the human eye do it?

My apologies as I see my above post looks something like a freshman exam
question that I guess I should research a bit first.  But I think it's
an interesting topic with a likely huge payoff for Hollywood once a
solution is (economically) available.  And I really liked the sample
picture in the linked article.

- Tom